Going back to school can be a fun, exciting time for kids. But it can also be a bit intimidating, especially if they’re going to a new school. This is often doubly true for students who are learning a new language! Put your English language learners at ease with an icebreaker activity so they can get to know their classmates. Doing an interview such as the one below will allow them to talk to a new classmate one-on-one, which is usually less intimidating. Later on, they can introduce that classmate to the rest of the class—that way, they will get to know all their classmates, and it’s also much easier to talk about someone else than it is to talk about yourself. Make sure you tell your students your own answers to these questions so they can get to know you, too!
Encourage your young learners to ask “why” as a follow-up to each question to promote more natural discussion.
To add some levity, have them come up with five “silly” questions when they’ve finished the main interview. Write some examples on the board, such as “If you were a monster, how many eyes would you have?” and “Would you eat chocolate-covered ants?”
If your learners are more advanced, have them write their own questionnaire instead of using the premade one.
What’s your favorite icebreaker activity? We’d love to hear from you in the comments section below!
Other Back-to-School Materials
- We Aren’t a Class, We Are a Community! 8 Ways to Get Children Excited about Learning with You
- The Essential Checklist for Using Technology with Young Learners This Year
- Are You Going to Set Back-to-School Goals with Your Kids?
- Back-to-School Lost and Found Challenge
- The Test – Simple Future Reading
- Guess Whose Goals – Future Tense Game
- Back to School – Find the Objects
- Young at Heart! 15 Young Learner Blogs We Love
- Tell Me About It! 15+ Fun Apps and Tools to Get Children Speaking
- Article Review: Setting Goals
- 50+ Web Tools Language Learners and Teachers Should Have This School Year
- A Beautiful Beginning: 10+ Tips & Resources for Creating a Safe Classroom Environment
Purchase a subscription to access all our Young Learner resources at a low price today!